During the Cold War, the United States opened hundreds of Nike missile sites across the country, designed to protect the country from attack. Eight of these installations were located in Hampton Roads, Virginia.
This site was originally a World War II POW camp that was converted into a Nike Missile Control Site in the 1950s. This site housed the Ajax Missile in 1955, and later, the Hercules missile.
In 1971, Nike Missile Control Site N-85 was decommissioned. The land was sold and today, the looming radar towers and scattered abandoned buildings are all that remain.