This five-arch span was constructed in 1819 by Silas Harry, resulting in significant improvement in road travel between Baltimore and Cumberland.
The bridge gets its name from the surrounding community, named for one of its early residents. Rufus Hillary Wilson, a transplant from the Eastern Shore of Maryland, bought property on the western side of the bridge in 1847. He erected a general store and added a house in 1850. In 1855, he added a one-room schoolhouse that he used to educate neighborhood children, including his son John.
The bridge was open to vehicular traffic until 1972 at which time it was severely damaged by storm flooding related to Hurricane Agnes. In 1982, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
It very likely would have fallen into disrepair if not for the generosity of a local stone mason. Following the restoration, the old stone span once again connected the banks of the Conococheague River and was opened to foot traffic. Historical signage was erected and picnic tables were added near the eastern side of the bridge, which is very close to the National Pike entrance to Hagerstown Speedway.