Traditionally, the village of Moor Green was known as a hub of small, private quarries that mined and then sold its stones all over the country. However, as visitors drive through the center of the village, there’s something that catches the eye, a preserved set of village stocks.
Used for rudimentary punishments for locals or visitors before more formal proceedings were put in place, the stocks remain in remarkably good condition. A nearby stone confirms that the stocks were moved to this location from Peck Pond to celebrate the crowning of King George VI in 1937.
On the backside of the site is the Ivy Millenium Green, a massive garden complete with sculptures and fantastic views over the valley. Opposite the garden are signed and marked walkways around the old quarries.